Thursday, August 28, 2014

Cream Soda - Drinking Notes

The Hollenberger’s favorite pop, cream soda, never lasted very long in the domain. My sister and I love it, but we’d also have to fight Dad for them. The very first bottle of liquor I ever bought was Bacardi 151 (yikes, I know) which obviously needed to be mixed. I had an idea of what it would taste like, so I picked up some A&W cream soda as a mixer knowing that I’d drink the A&W regardless. I actually made my first drink that night; a cloying concoction of cream soda, peppermint schnapps and 151 named ‘cream silk’ because it hid the 151 burn quite well.

We decided to taste cream sodas for this drinking note and give you some tasty alcohol recipes to use with them.
Bedford’s Creme Beer- The lightest of the three sodas we tested. Bedford’s has very little scent and carbonation, although it still has the mouth feel of a cream soda. Silky and refreshing, the Bedford is a winner on a hot day on the back deck. You could actually have several in a row without looking for citrus in between. However, it is completely overwhelmed in alcohol; I wouldn’t buy it as a mixer.
Boylan Creme- The Boylan is one of the sweeter of the cream sodas I’ve had. Light on carbonation but big on vanilla, the Boylan would be a great pairing with chocolate and fruits like apples, pineapple, and lime. Boylan is still my favorite of all the creams I’ve tried straight up.
Jersey-Creme Soda- The best mixer of the bunch, the Jersey has bold flavor, color (deep brown), and aroma. It is all cream from top to bottom, so it stands up to rum, citrus, and Canadian whisky well. Because Jersey-Creme was used since the early 1900s as a cream concentrate, I wasn’t afraid of having to use too much to water down my more expensive bourbons.

Chocolate Dreamsicle
Chocolate Dreamsicle
Drinking Notes / Holly's Originals

2 ounces Pritchard's Double Chocolate Bourbon

3 ounce Jersey-Creme soda
1/4 ounce dry curaçao

1919 Key Lime Pie

Drinking Notes / Holly's Originals

2 ounces Angostura 1919 rum

4 ounces Bedford's Creme Beer (lighter) or Boylan Creme (thicker)
Juice of 1/2 a small lime

Gently stir both recipes on ice. For best results, chill the cream soda before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment