Saturday, June 5, 2010

Essential Liquor #14

#14) Light Rum - While not as flavorful as dark rum, light rum is a prerequisite for tropical drinks whose color is provided by the fruit. It also allows for the crushed mint and crystal look of the classic mojito.


For an original drink, I decided to go away from the traditional rum dance partner, Caribbean fruit, to add a unique flavor that I've wanted to explore for awhile - the carrot! When Quinn was a baby, he had carrot juice sweetened with mango and pineapple. It was good. I had to have it as a mixer. Two separate times we found (and bought) carrot juice from the store only to find out it was expired for months! Ugh. So until I found Mott's carrot-mango a few weeks ago, I couldn't make this drink until now. Enjoy. We ended up naming it after the old vegetable farmer who had to defend his carrots against Peter Rabbit...

Mr. McGregor

2 ounces light rum
2 ounces carrot-mango juice (I used Mott's)
1/2 ounce pineapple juice
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 dash grenadine

Pour the dash of grenadine into the bottom of the cocktail glass. Shake the remaining ingredients with ice. Strain and pour slowly over the grenadine.

2 comments: