Friday, November 7, 2014

Butterscotch and Cream

I love pouring drinks, most people know that. However, every once (or twice) in a while, I spend the entire party night in the kitchen. Like Victor Frankenstein, I exhaust the night splicing ingredients together, reveling in the creation. By the small hours, the party-goers dwindle to a handful and I always go, ‘Damn, I didn’t even get to talk to so-and-so!’ That’s why Cody Love was a life-saver. You see, Cody is a bartender out West (check the Loves Shack Pool and Pub) and whenever we partied, he would see a drink I was pouring and say, ‘Hey, man, there’s a shot like that drink you’re pouring!’ Then he’d take the bar, pour shots and I got to slink away to talk to people. Shot glasses in my house finally got used; ragers raged. Everything was good.

For this post, I thought that I should reverse the world on Cody and turn shots into cocktails. Two of the greatest classic shots ever invented is the buttery nipple and its kissing cousin the slippery nipple. Both nipple shots are capped with unmixed Bailey’s Irish cream; only the lower denominator is different- sambuca for the slippery and butterscotch liqueur for the buttery. I decided to convert the latter after finding Coldstone’s Sweet Cream ice cream in liquid form. Here’s the recipe.

Butterscotch and Cream

Holly's Originals

1 1/2 ounces butterscotch schnapps
1 1/2 ounces creamer (we used Cold Stone Sweet Cream creamer)
2 dashes Angostura bitters

In a rocks glass filled with ice, mix equal part of butterscotch schnapps and Coldstone Sweet Cream creamer (or Bailey's for the purist). Stir. Add a dash or two of Angostura to cut some of the sweetness and for a bit of spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment